The intent of these questions is to provide a learning process of discovery while traveling in the van with other clinicians and colleagues. This is an opportunity for critical thinking and reflection in collaboration with members of the team.
• How does the team create a safe space to promote effective engagement?
• What are the considerations?
Topic: Barriers to Accessing Health Care
• What are some of the “real” barriers your patients’ face when trying to access care in traditional medical settings
• What could some “perceived” barriers be?
• How does the team overcome these barriers?
Topic: Shared Decision-Making
• How do you decide what treatment options to offer patients?
• What risks and benefits are weighed in making treatment decisions?
• What considerations do we take into account from a whole person care perspective?
• What is prioritized from the physical, mental health, substance use and trauma perspectives?
• Which domain do we start with first? Based upon what criteria?
• Demonstrate how to show we care for this patient and how to make a difference in their life.
• What would a language of caring and commitment sound like/look like?
Topic: Medical Topics
• What diagnosis and medical treatment issues did we see in the field today that are unique to Street Medicine?
Topic: Harm Reduction
• Describe a harm reduction technique or strategy that you observed.
• What was the outcome and how does it benefit the patient?
Topic: Creative Problem-Solving
• What strategies or tactics did the team use to advance patient engagement, collaboration or adherence to a medical regimen?
• Describe any incentives used by the clinician to achieve cooperation.
• What motivated the patient to consider making a change?
Topic: Trauma Informed Care
• How does trauma impact health?
• Describe any “trauma informed” strategies that you observed.
• How do trauma informed care and a strengths-based approach relate?
• Which medical topics and procedures may risk re-traumatizing patients?
Topic: Motivational Interviewing
• How do you assess a patient’s readiness to change?
• Why is acknowledgment of the patient’s goal essential?
• When is it appropriate to “develop discrepancy?”
Topic: Self-Care for Clinicians
• How would you develop a self-care practice for yourself?
• What activities would you include?
Topic: Collaborative Team Work
• How well did the team do today in collaborating in the best interest of the patient?
• Provide examples of a lesson learned, a challenge and/or a success.
Topic: Reflection(s) of the Day
• What noteworthy reflections did you observe or hear from a patient?
• What was the most important thing you/we learned today?